August 23, 2010

Starting Lonergan

Though it's surely a folly to think that I could finish it before the first day of school, this morning I have embarked on the last of my projected summer reading, Bernard Lonergan's Insight. You know you're in for something good when you read a sentence like this in the author's preface:

"...I find it difficult to state in any brief and easy manner what the present book is about, how a single author can expect to treat the variety of topics listed in the table of contents, why he should attempt to do so in a single work, and what good he could hope to accomplish even were he to succeed in his odd undertaking."

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is always good to see book references, and reviews, in this blog.It helps me build up a list of suggested reading.

mtjofmcap said...

I read about the first half of Insight in the novitiate and then life took over. I'm looking forward to getting back to it at some point.

I think the legendary John MacQuarrie described it best: "Ack, Insight is a jungle!

Happy Reading, Bro!

Brother Charles said...

I know what he means, Brother. So it far it feels like the Meno on amphetamines.

blogmeister said...

I had a course on Lonergan's Insight. The prof was excellent and enthusiastic about the work, which helped greatly. Some of the principles still form part of my thoguth, I guess.