December 9, 2009

Overheard: Infirm Purposes of Amendment

A priest was charging his cell phone in the hallway next to the parish offices.

Funny Lady: Father, is it 'finders keepers'? Because there's a nice cell phone out here...

Priest: Go ahead and take it. But you'll have to hear the confessions of everyone who calls up when I'm on duty.

Funny Lady: I can hear their confessions, I just can't do anything about them.

Priest: Don't worry, some of them don't want to do anything about them either.


As a confessor told me once, "Just because you feel contrite, doesn't mean you're repentant."

1 comment:

Elizabeth Mahlou said...

Oh, my, that final statement is a whammy. It is so insightful that I immediately started thinking about all my moments of contrition, wondering whether I had also been repentant. Posts that make one think in that way -- which you did with one sentence -- are beautiful finds for those us working hard at becoming better servants of God.