October 9, 2007

Aggiornamento

One thing I've been doing in these early days of my priesthood is trying to learn the old vesting prayers. I've got the hand washing one down already, mostly because it is engraved over the sink in our sacristy. And I don't use an amice, so I skip that one.

What I've been thinking is that they need one piece of updating, because part of vesting in our time is putting on the wireless microphone. In fact, many albs are made nowadays with pockets for them and openings for their wires. I put the microphone on after the alb and before the cincture, and I think this needs a prayer too.

So, you liturgists and Latinists, get to work.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Might I suggest that you use the prayers for the maniple for the cordless microphone?

The maniple is seen as a symbol of the bonds which held the hands of the Lord after his capture. Might the wire of the microphone lend itself to a similar symbolism?

in English:

May I deserve, O Lord, to bear the maniple of weeping and sorrow in order that I may joyfully reap the reward of my labors.

in Latin:

Merear, Domine, portare manipulum fletus et doloris; ut cum exsultatione recipiam mercedem laboris.

--ben in Denver

Brother Charles said...

That's great! I mostly get tangled up in it when I'm putting things away.

Unknown said...

What about Psalm 100: "Make a joyful noise unto the Lord........"

PlainCatholic said...

May I suggest Psalm 19:15?
" Let the words of my mouth meet with your favor, keep the thoughts of my heart before you, LORD, my rock and my redeemer."
Plain Catholic in the Mountains
http://plaincatholic.blogspot.com/