June 22, 2007

Treasure

Old friend Don has had some good posts on mindfulness and living in the present moment these past few days, and they have helped me to think about the Gospel for today, in which the Lord teaches us that where our treasure is, so will our heart be.

For me it's a good examination of conscience for mindfulness to ask myself where my heart is at some point in the day. What are my preoccupations that day? Where do my thoughts seem to drift automatically? How charged are the feelings that follow upon the thoughts? By doing this, I can figure out where my treasure is, and whether it's with the Lord and his work, or with something else.

1 comment:

Don said...

Thanks for the recommendation. I think there is a lot of mindfulness direction in the Lord's Prayer, i.e. "give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us." It's all present tense. The recovery mantra of "one day at a time" is yet another example of staying in the present moment. I'm sure there are many others, but those are a couple who come to mind. Peace.