September 8, 2009

Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Among the perfections of the saints is to enjoy a perfect nine month gestation, so exactly nine months after the feast of the Immaculate Conception, we celebrate today the Nativity of the Blessed Virgin Mary. This morning I was so struck by St. Andrew of Crete's sermon in the Office of Readings, that I threw out my own homily for Mass and just used the last two lines:

Today this created world is raised to the dignity of a holy place for him who made all things. The creature is newly prepared to be a divine dwelling place for the Creator.


That is the sublime dignity of Mary's vocation in the history of salvation, and it is our vocation too as those who are called to imitate her by conceiving the Word in our lives and bearing Him to the world.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have yet to read the second reading. I have taken to just reading the second reading from the OoR, in addition to Lauds, Vespers and Compline until I get back in my routine.

*runs off to read it*

Rachel said...

I read that reading but somehow missed how amazing those last two lines are!