May 21, 2007

Keys

I always know that I'm in a transitional moment when I start to run out of keys. I was used to having five keys on my everyday key chain: two for school, two for the parish where I worked, one for the friary where I live. Now school is done and I've quit my current parish gig, so I'm down to one key.

Friars always say it's challenging to be in transition. I like it. Pulling together loose ends and cleaning are gratifying to me, and packing and moving always makes me feel curiously alive.

What I'm not good at is the landing. That is to say starting up in a new place. But the mendicant life is supposed to be an itinerant life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wishing you the best in your new assignment. Do you know the date of your ordination? Be assured of my prayers.

Brother Charles said...

It's good to hear from you, brother, and congratulations on your ordination. I'm up on Our Lady's next birthday.

Anonymous said...

Comforting to know there are ordinations happening!
Br. Charles, you will leave your mark at your new gig, just like you did at this one. In the words of Julian of Norwich, all WILL be well...