March 21, 2007

Transubstantiation

I was thinking yesterday of one of those great moments in what God has revealed to me. When I was first in the Church I used to wonder strongly over the Eucharist--of how bread and wine could become the Body and Blood of the Lord. I was punching at the cloud of the mystery, as the author of the Cloud might say.

Then one day when I was on retreat and sitting before the Blessed Sacrament, the opposite (and to my more beautiful) side of the mystery suddenly came to me: instead of reflecting on how the bread could become the Son of God, I began to wonder at how the glorious and almighty God was willing to become our bread.

Later on I found this same meditation in Francis's Letter to the Entire Order:
O sublime humility
O humble sublimity
That the Lord of the universe,
God and the Son of God,
so humbles Himself that for our salvation
he hides Himself under the little form of bread!

2 comments:

Hidden One said...

This Francis guy - I'm really starting to like him. So wise - Godwise, not worldwise. Good rolemodel.

Brother Charles said...

You can't go wrong with Francis, brother!